The OGCSA Annual Meeting was held at The Reserve Vineyards and Golf Club on Thursday, May 24, 2018. The day started with our annual OGCSA business meeting. OGCSA President Chuck Wolsborn called the meeting to order and presented the 2017 meeting minutes for approval. Committee reports followed with Chuck giving a president’s report on the 2017-2018 board year and reported on financials. Vice President, Gabe Hughes gave a report on events and educational seminars and also reported on the status of the current membership and sponsorship. Golf Committee Chair, Bill Franzke gave a report on the OGCSA GHIN Club as well as the 2018 golf event calendar. There was no old business addressed and there was no new business brought by the membership. The results of the 2018-2019 board elections were announced and are as follows:
President: Gabe Hughes, The Reserve Vineyards and Golf Club
Vice President: Shane Hadwick, Orchard Hills Golf and Country Club
Directors: (2-year term)
- Rory Allison, River Ridge Golf Complex
- Jeff Crabtree, Oak Knoll Golf Course
- Brant Hathorn CGCS, Bandon Crossings Golf Course
- Danny Vandecoevering, Charbonneau Golf Club
- Roger Vandehey, Middlefield Golf Course
Affiliate Director: (2-year term)
- Mark Willcut, Rain Bird Corporation
Past President: Chuck Wolsborn, Gresham Golf Course
2018-2019 OGCSA Board of Directors
Left to Right (back row): Rory Allison, Mark Willcut, Gabe Hughes, Shane Hadwick, Jeff Crabtree
Left to Right (front row): Kathy Hauff, Danny Vandecoevering, Roger Vandehey, Bill Franzke Not pictured: Chuck Wolsborn, Brant Hathorn
Gabe Hughes recognized outgoing president, Chuck Wolsborn for his two years of service as President. Chuck was presented with the President’s recognition frame handcrafted by our very own framer, Kathy Hauff. Thank you for your service and dedication to the OGCSA Chuck! Below: Gabe Hughes & Chuck Wolsborn
Outgoing Board of Directors, Bill Barnes and Jeff Wilson were also recognized with a board service frame, but they were not in attendance to receive them.
After a short morning break the group listened to a presentation on Modern Course Infrastructure from the keynote speaker, John Fought, Golf Course Architect and former PGA Tour Professional. John Fought was the original architect of the South Course at The Reserve Vineyards and Golf Club and in 2017 was brought back for a major bunker renovation.
The meeting concluded with awards, scholarships and updates. Beginning with the recognition of Assistant Superintendent of the year award presented by Chuck Wolsborn, the 2018 recipient of this award was Matt Collier, Charbonneau Golf Club. Below: Chuck Wolsborn & Matt Collier
Next the Superintendent of the year award was presented by Gabe Hughes, the 2018 recipient of this award was Matt Grove, Centennial Golf Club. Below: Matt Grove & Gabe Hughes
Scholarship awards followed with Gabe Hughes presenting the OGCSA scholarship to Oregon State University turfgrass student Grant Roth in the amount of $1500. Below: Gabe Hughes & Grant Roth
Gordon Kiyokawa CGCS, from the Oregon Turfgrass Foundation presented the Bill Martin Memorial Scholarship to Oregon State University student Evan McFadden in the amount of $3,100. Below: Gordon Kiyokawa & Evan McFadden
Oregon Turfgrass Foundation board member Russ Vandehey CGCS and Linda Whitworth presented the Norm Whitworth Memorial Scholarship. This scholarship is the premier scholarship, and the 2018 recipient is Oregon State University Ph.D. student, Clint Mattox in the amount of $7,500. Below: Linda Whitworth & Clint Mattox
All were outstanding choices based on qualifications that are required to be awarded these scholarships.
Next the The Oregon Turfgrass Foundation Board presented Alec Kowalewski, Ph.D. and Brian McDonald with a check for $50,000 to the OSU Foundation for the Turf Technician Fund. Below: Gordon Kiyokawa, Alec Kowalewski, Gabe Hughes, Brian McDonald and David Phipps.
Lastly, updates were given from:
- Alec Kowalewski from Oregon State University turfgrass program. Alec spoke on turfgrass research and educational programs at OSU. Alec also introduced the newest team member to the program Faculty Research Assistant, Emily Braithwaite and reminded people about the August Turfgrass Field Day.
- Rod Nelson from the Oregon Turfgrass Foundation. Rod encouraged people to support the new OTF Treasure Chest and gave an update on the OTF golf event and auction in Bend, OR, September 30 and October 1, 2018.
- Russ Vandehey from the Northwest Turfgrass Association. Russ updated the group to the work that the NTA is doing to support turfgrass research and scholarships in the Northwest. Russ also encouraged people to save-the-date and attend the NTA Conference October 28-30, 2018 in Walla Walla, WA.
- Kyle Stanfield from the Oregon Schools Activities Association. Since the early 2000’s the OGCSA has sponsored the tournament flags for the high school state golf championships. Kyle thanked the group for the continued support and spoke to how appreciative the kids are for the flags.
After the meeting and lunch, Gabe Hughes and Bill Franzke organized several members for a fun afternoon of golf. Thank you gentlemen!!!! Winners of the 18-hole competition were:
- 1st Net – 69 – Jason Blythe, The Reserve Vineyards and Golf Club
- 1st Gross – 76 – Scott Larsen, Emerald Valley Golf and Resort
- 2nd Gross – 81 – Stan Presley, Wilbur Ellis Company
- KP – Craig Stockhaus, Lewis River Golf Course
- Long Drive 0-15 Hcp – Jay Schaffer, Orchard Hills Golf and Country Club
- Long Drive 16 plus Hcp – Keaton Fisher, Chinook Winds Golf Resort
Once again thank you to our hosts The Reserve Vineyards and Golf Club staff, Director of Agronomy, Jason Blythe and Superintendent Gabe Hughes for hosting us. Also thank you to our recognized event sponsor Crop Production Services.