We are excited to partner with OSU to offer two scholarship opportunities to OGCSA members and their staff. Are you looking to further your education in the turfgrass management industry or have an employee that is? Then this is the opportunity for you! If selected as the recipient of the scholarship OSU turfgrass instructors will work with you to complete this online series at your own pace.
Application deadline September 15, 2023
About the OSU PACE Course Series:
This series of courses provides specialized training in three areas: turfgrass management, golf course management and integrated pest management. Throughout these courses, you will learn about:
- What types of fertilizer to use on a lawn and when and how to apply them
- Irrigation best practices for your turfgrass
- Agronomic and managerial aspects of golf course maintenance
- Putting green construction and turf selection
- How to read a pesticide label
- Key laws and safety materials associated with being a pesticide applicator
Together, these courses will provide a comprehensive introduction to turfgrass management that can help you enter or advance in this industry.
Oregon GCSA Oregon State University (OSU) Turfgrass Management PACE course scholarship will be awarded to the most outstanding applicant(s) in an annual competition based on eligibility and selection criteria indicated below. The OGCSA will offer up to 2 scholarships. Applications will be reviewed by the scholarship committee and submitted to the Oregon GCSA Board of Directors for final approval. All decisions of the committee will be final. Application deadline will be September 15 of each year. Applicants will be notified of their status by Early October of the year submitted.
- Applicant must be a class A, B, C, Oregon GCSA member or an active employee of such member.
- CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
- Applicants must submit an original letter of interest of up to 500 words. The letter of interest must be original and not previously submitted to the Oregon GCSA.
- Applicants that are employees of Oregon GCSA members must also submit a letter of recommendation from sponsoring member.
- Applicants that are current members of Oregon GCSA must submit a letter of recommendation from an industry peer, club management or club member.
- Applicants will be evaluated based on employment history in golf course maintenance/landscape/equipment management field and desire to advance in the industry.
- Financial need is not a factor in the selection.
- How to Apply
Applicants must complete and submit the attached application form and supply the following under one cover:
- Typed original letter of interest (up to 500 words) covering why they are interested in completing the Oregon State University (OSU) Turfgrass Management PACE course.
- Letter of recommendation
- All applications must be postmarked by September 15, 2023
- Send or email the packet to:
P.O. Box 1556
Oregon City, OR 97045